Sun Hat Hack
Sun Hat Hack
I’ve been spending a lot of time out in the garden this year with the Pagelets. Our garden is our little oasis as the children love jumping on the trampoline and I love sitting in the warm sun dreaming up my next creative project or fun pattern hack.
Sun protection is so important, which is why the RP Team created our Sun Hat sewing pattern for adults, children (even pets). One day, as I was sitting in my garden watching the children jump on the trampoline with their handmade Sun Hats bouncing off of their heads, a quick pattern hack idea popped into my head that I just had to try!
2. Fold your hat in half at the center back seam.
3. Measure the length from one side of the hat to the other to find the quarter points.
4. Mark the quarter points by putting a small dot on the hat with Tailor’s chalk or a water erasable fabric pen.
5. Poke the point of a seam ripper through the quarter-point marking on both sides of the hat to make a small hole.
6. Place the grommet on top of the grommet base tool. Poke the grommet and grommet base tool through the small hole on the outside of the hat as pictured. Hold in place.
7. Flip the hat to the inside and align the grommet washer so it sits on the grommet base tool. The washer will be touching the hat fabric.
8. Place the long skinny grommet tool on top of the grommet washer from the inside of the hat.
9. Hammer the long skinny grommet tool to set the grommet and washer in place.
10. Trim away any excess fabric inside of the grommet hole.
11. Repeat steps 5-10 for the other side of the hat.
12. Thread ribbon or cord through the grommets in the hat.
13. You can now tie your hat around your neck or under your chin to prevent it from blowing away and shifting. If you want to give your hat even more versatility, thread cord through your grommets and add an adjustable cord lock on the cord tails so you can easily adjust your hat.
Thanks so much for following along with my Sun Hat Hack! Your lovely makes inspire me so much! If you make the hack, be sure to tag me on social media using #rebeccapage and #rpsunhat. I hope you enjoy many sunny days with your Sun Hat ahead!