Women’s Curvy Taylor Trench Coat
This trench coat pattern is a wardrobe staple that will complete any outfit. There are two length options, three pocket options and an optional hood as well as optional detailing including front and back yokes, shoulder tabs, and belt. Different options are suitable for different sewing abilities but the end result is a rewarding, beautifully-finished coat.
Instant download digital sewing pattern. Includes Women’s Sizes 1-10 & Women’s Curvy Sizes 6C-15C.
Note – The pattern is modeled here in our Women’s Curvy sizing. When you purchase, you will receive both our Women’s 1-10 sizing AND Women’s Curvy 6C-15C sizing (you get all the sizes).
- Two length options: mid-thigh and below knee
- Optional welt, patch, or no pocket
- Optional front and back yokes
- Optional shoulder tabs
- Optional belt
- Suitable for intermediate to advanced level
- Button detailing
- Fully lined
- Packed with pro tips and expert advice
- Includes full size, print-at-home pattern pieces
- Includes step-by-step tutorial with photos
- Instant-download digital sewing pattern
- The interior needs to be a light to medium weight woven fabric.
- Suitable fabrics include lining, cotton, quilting cotton, satin, and duchess satin. Fabrics with less drape (e.g. cotton) will be easier to handle and sew.
- Fabrics such as silk can be used for the lining but are only recommended for someone with experience using them as a lining.
- You can also use a thicker woven fabric such as flannel or fleece, however, please check the finished garment measurements and determine whether the garment may be quite fitted on you. If yes, then you would need to size up to use a thicker fabric such as these.
- Buttons or snaps - approximately 1 inch / 25 mm wide. Some of the lovely people who initially tested this pattern are lucky enough to have great local suppliers of buttons. However, given the quantities needed for this pattern, if you don't have somewhere local, you may find it most effective to search on Amazon or eBay for a good bulk button deal. Quantities needed are:
- Front Fastenings:
- Trench Length: 12x buttons
- Coat Length: 10x buttons
- OPTIONAL - plus 7x buttons for the cuffs (2), shoulders (2), welt or patch pockets (2), and center back (1)
- OPTIONAL - plus 4x to attach the hood or you can use snaps for this.
- OPTIONAL - plus 1x if doing front yoke flaps.
- Front Fastenings:
- OPTIONAL Buckle - The belt is designed to be tied at the waist, but you can also add a buckle if you prefer. The back in the center of the buckle needs to be 2 inches.
- OPTIONAL Hood -
- Cord for the hood drawstring. Check the length for your size in the cutting section.
- You will also need 2x grommets. However, you could create a buttonhole instead if you do not have grommets.
- Additionally, you could use 2x drawstring clamps, locks, or toggles to go on each end of your drawstring (or just tie a knot if you prefer).
- OPTIONAL Iron on Interfacing - This is just for the collar so 1/4 yard will be more than sufficient for all sizes.
- Thread to match.
- Sewing machine
- Pins or clips
- Tape measure or ruler
- A point turner or blunt object such as a chopstick or knitting needle
- Serger is optional but not required.
How do PDF/ digital patterns work? Simply download, print, and sew. You’ll need a free Adobe Acrobat reader program and any home printer (or a nearby copy shop for A0 printing). Once you’ve printed the pieces, tape or glue them together. You’ll find an easy-to-follow how-to guide inside the pattern instructions, plus support in our Facebook group.
The trim-free pattern comes in A4 or US letter printable sizes and includes full pattern pieces and a detailed tutorial to guide you every step of the way. An A0 format (pattern pieces only) is also included should you wish to have your pattern printed professionally. PDF Layers allow you to select and print only the size/s you want/ need.
When will I get my patterns? You’ll receive a link to download your patterns immediately after purchase. If you haven’t received it, please check your spam/ junk folder. You can also find your patterns in your ‘My Account’ area..
What if I need help while sewing? Join our Facebook group and ask any and all the questions you have! We have a team of admins who know our patterns inside-out and are here to help at any point throughout your RP sewing experience. This wonderful community is friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help! You can share photos of your RP sews, enter giveaways, get sales information, and new-release updates.
“The finish is high end couture. The pattern is worth every button, fabric and time. A winner of a pattern!”