Washable Coloring Play Mat Sewing Pattern
(or 1 credits)
Sew your little ones this quick and easy washable coloring play mat with fringing on the side. Use washable markers to draw and color in, using the templates provided or let your imagination run wild. The washable coloring play mat can be used again and again. Simply throw the washable coloring playmat in the washing machine and viola! It comes out clean. Your little one can start a new masterpiece.
Instant download digital sewing pattern. Finished Play Mat is 36 by 24 inches.
• Optional fringing
• Optional templates, pick and choose which design features or draw your own
• If you use washable fabric markers for drawing, you can wash and reuse
• Great for beginners
• Packed with pro tips and expert advice
• Includes full size, print-at-home pattern pieces
• Includes step-by-step tutorial with photos
• Instant-download digital sewing pattern
Finished Play Mat is 36 by 24 inches.
Main fabric – You will need a woven fabric for this play mat. Great examples are a canvas or cotton fabric. As you will be drawing on it, we recommend using a plain fabric so that this is visible.
Lining fabric – You can use the same fabric as your main fabric. You could also use something like vinyl.
Browse suitable fabrics here:
- Interlining – You will need interlining to prevent the marker drawings from bleeding through to the lining fabric. You can use interfacing, vinyl, batting, or even fleece. You will need 1 yard.
- Tassels - You can use store bought Tassels or create your own.
- If you are buying Tassels, they can be between 5-7 inches long with a minimum length of 2 yards. Alternatively, you could use fringe.
- If you are making your Tassels, you will need yarn with a light to medium thickness (3 - 4 weight). You will need approximately 80 yards.
- Drawing - We recommend using washable fabric markers so that you can redraw your designs. Use a black marker to trace around the templates, then color these in with your desired colors. You could also use washable fabric paints.
- Thread to match
- Sewing machine
- Pins or clips (clips are recommended if using vinyl)
- Tailors chalk/fabric pen
- Tape measure or ruler
How do PDF/ digital patterns work? Simply download, print, and sew. You’ll need a free Adobe Acrobat reader program and any home printer (or a nearby copy shop for A0 printing). Once you’ve printed the pieces, tape or glue them together. You’ll find an easy-to-follow how-to guide inside the pattern instructions, plus support in our Facebook group.
The trim-free pattern comes in A4 or US letter printable sizes and includes full pattern pieces and a detailed tutorial to guide you every step of the way. An A0 format (pattern pieces only) is also included should you wish to have your pattern printed professionally. PDF Layers allow you to select and print only the size/s you want/ need.
When will I get my patterns? You’ll receive a link to download your patterns immediately after purchase. If you haven’t received it, please check your spam/ junk folder. You can also find your patterns in your ‘My Account’ area..
What if I need help while sewing? Join our Facebook group and ask any and all the questions you have! We have a team of admins who know our patterns inside-out and are here to help at any point throughout your RP sewing experience. This wonderful community is friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help! You can share photos of your RP sews, enter giveaways, get sales information, and new-release updates.
“Perfect beginner pattern! Great instructions and so fun”
Buy More Credits
Katie Weatherly –
Very quick sew that will provide hours of fun.
Bernadette Aitken –
A great way to draw and be able to do it all over again!
Susan Pearson –
What a wonderful idea – a portable WASHABLE playmat! You can use both sides for hours of playtime. I find it best to use a nice tightly woven fabric so the drawing is easier. I also used a heavy cotton batting for the inside to absorb the washable markers. As a bonus – you can use it as a baby blanket in a stroller or car seat!
Janet Cox –
A quick and easy sew! I skipped the tassels, as my kids would just tear them apart. Lined with a cheap shower curtain. It completely covers their play table, and is a great mat for the one who colours off the side of the pages.