Magical Drawstring Backpack Sewing Pattern
(or 1 credits)
Make the child in your life something that they will love with the adorable Magical Drawstring Backpack sewing pattern. This cute Magical Drawstring backpack has two size options, large and small. The sewing pattern comes with instructions to customize the Magical Drawstring Backpack in nine different ways: a bunny, dragon, dinosaur, monster, angel, child, color blocking, and adding bunting to make this a custom backpack. The backpack closes with a drawstring cord which can be fed through a tab or optional eyelet.
Instant download digital sewing pattern. Includes size Small and Large.
• Tabs or eyelets at the bottom
• Bunny option
• Dragon option
• Monster option
• Bunting option
• Color block option
• Beginner Friendly
• Two sizes
• Top closes with drawstring
• Packed with pro tips and expert advice
• Includes full size, print-at-home pattern pieces
• Includes step-by-step tutorial with photos
• Instant-download digital sewing pattern
- 1/8 inch drawstring cord - you will need approximately:
- Size S - 3 yards
- Size L - 3.5 yards
- NOTE - If you use a drawstring cord that is wider than 1/8 inch, you will need to make the channel deeper than the pattern markings.
- OPTIONAL Interfacing - If you are using a light weight fabric and would like a little more structure to your backpack you can use a light to medium weight interfacing. The amount you need will depend on the pieces you are interfacing. You will need the same amount of interfacing as your fabric amount listed above.
- Eyelet OPTION - 2x ½ inch wide Eyelet Hardware.
- OPTIONAL fusible webbing for the characters. You will need a small amount for the Eyes, Nose, Pupils, Eyebrows, and Paw pieces.
- Angel/Dragon OPTION - You will need 0.25 yards of lightweight batting for the Wings.
- Bunny OPTION - You will need yarn to create a pompom tail. You can either buy a ready-made pompom, or if you would like to make your own you will need:
- You can use any thickness of yarn and as much or as little as you like. The thicker your yarn or the more you use, the fuller your pompom will be.
- We used less than 1 ball/skein of yarn in this tutorial.
- Alternatively, you could use any non-fraying fabric for the pompom (e.g., felt, fleece, lycra, fake fur, leather, yarn suiting), or any other ribbon or trim you like.
- A great idea is to mix and match yarn colors, fabric colors, or mix and match fabric with a yarn or ribbon/cord/trim!
- Child OPTION - You will need less than 1 ball/skein of yarn. You will need 120 cut lengths, each 11 inches long. If you have scrap yarn this would be perfect to use up.
- OPTIONAL Stuffing - This can be added to the Bunny or Dragon feet. You will need a handful of stuffing.
- Bunting OPTION - You can use fabric paint/markers to draw on letters, embroider them with embroidery thread, or use Heat Transfer Vinyl if you wish.
- Thread to match
- Sewing machine
- Pins or clips
- Tape measure or ruler
- Safety pin or bodkin
- Tailors chalk or disappearing ink fabric pen
- Serger/Overlocker is optional but not required.
How do PDF/ digital patterns work? Simply download, print, and sew. You’ll need a free Adobe Acrobat reader program and any home printer (or a nearby copy shop for A0 printing). Once you’ve printed the pieces, tape or glue them together. You’ll find an easy-to-follow how-to guide inside the pattern instructions, plus support in our Facebook group.
The trim-free pattern comes in A4 or US letter printable sizes and includes full pattern pieces and a detailed tutorial to guide you every step of the way. An A0 format (pattern pieces only) is also included should you wish to have your pattern printed professionally. PDF Layers allow you to select and print only the size/s you want/ need.
When will I get my patterns? You’ll receive a link to download your patterns immediately after purchase. If you haven’t received it, please check your spam/ junk folder. You can also find your patterns in your ‘My Account’ area..
What if I need help while sewing? Join our Facebook group and ask any and all the questions you have! We have a team of admins who know our patterns inside-out and are here to help at any point throughout your RP sewing experience. This wonderful community is friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help! You can share photos of your RP sews, enter giveaways, get sales information, and new-release updates.
“Another GREAT Rebecca Page Pattern! Easy sew, can make the bag structured with interfacing, or more lightweight without. Perfect for littles to tote around their treasures, or even for a fashionable lunch tote. I plan to make a coordinating sunhat to go with mine!”
Buy More Credits