Kids Zoo Backpack Sewing Pattern
$12.50 (or 1 credits)
Make your backpack come alive with character and charm! This fully-lined Kids Zoo Backpack sewing pattern with adjustable straps has loads of personality and fun options, including a cat, penguin, and alien, as well as a plain option.
Instant download digital sewing pattern. Sizes include small and large for kids and adults alike
• Optional penguin, cat, or alien faces
• Optional buggy pocket
• Optional front zipper pocket
• Optional back zipper pocket
• Optional strap lengths for child and adult
• Beginner friendly
• Packed with pro tips and expert advice
• Includes full size, print-at-home pattern pieces
• Includes step-by-step tutorial with photos
• Instant-download digital sewing pattern
Fabric – You will need a woven or non-stretch fabric. Cotton, quilting cotton, denim, cotton lawn, canvas, and even upholstery fabric would work. You could use a faux leather/ leather or suede, but you will need the correct machine and needle to work with this fabric as there are a lot of layers that need sewing together.
Lining Fabric – It needs to be a light to medium weight woven fabric. Suitable fabrics include habotai (silk or polyester), poly anti-static lining, cotton, quilting cotton, and satin. If your main fabric is not too thick, you could also use this for the lining.
Browse suitable fabrics here:
NOTE – For webbing pieces you can use any width from 1 - 1.25 inches wide. Remember to use the same width sliders where needed. The D-ring can be the same size or wider than the webbing.
- 2x 1.5 inch wide D-ring
- 2x Sliders (same width as your webbing)
- 1 - 1.25 inch wide Webbing. 30 inches in will be sufficient for all sizes.
- Padding – You can use a wadding, batting or even a fleece to pad the Straps – approximately 0.75 – 2 yards will be sufficient
- 1x Zipper:
- Small - 22 inches long
- Large – 25 inches long
- OPTIONAL Penguin / Alien – You will need a handful of stuffing
- OPTIONAL Zipper Pocket – 1x 7 inch zipper per pocket
- NOTE – You can add one to the plain or Alien OPTION on the front, and one to the back.
- OPTIONAL Buggy Pocket – 1 x 8 inch zipper
- NOTE – You can add one to the plain or Cat OPTION.
- OPTIONAL Batting / Interfacing – You can add interfacing to all pieces or batting to all pieces except the pockets. If you are using a light weight fabric (e.g., quilting cotton) for the backpack, you will need to add batting/interfacing to stabilize it. If you are using a heavy weight fabric this is not needed. You will need approximately 1.5 – 2.5 yards.
- OPTIONAL Fusible webbing e.g., Pellon 805 Wonder-Under, ‘heat n bond’, ‘bondaweb’, fusible web or iron-on adhesive. You will need this if you are making the Cat, Alien or Penguin. Approximately ¼ yard will be sufficient. Alternatively, you can use fabric glue to stick your pieces down.
- Cat OPTION - Embroidery thread for the cat’s whiskers
- OPTIONAL Personalisation – vinyl, fabric paints, scrap of fabric for applique
- Thread to match
- Sewing machine
- Pins or clips
- Tape measure or ruler
- Optional washaway sewing tape
How do PDF/ digital patterns work? Simply download, print, and sew. You’ll need a free Adobe Acrobat reader program and any home printer (or a nearby copy shop for A0 printing). Once you’ve printed the pieces, tape or glue them together. You’ll find an easy-to-follow how-to guide inside the pattern instructions, plus support in our Facebook group.
The trim-free pattern comes in A4 or US letter printable sizes and includes full pattern pieces and a detailed tutorial to guide you every step of the way. An A0 format (pattern pieces only) is also included should you wish to have your pattern printed professionally. PDF Layers allow you to select and print only the size/s you want/ need.
When will I get my patterns? You’ll receive a link to download your patterns immediately after purchase. If you haven’t received it, please check your spam/ junk folder. You can also find your patterns in your ‘My Account’ area..
What if I need help while sewing? Join our Facebook group and ask any and all the questions you have! We have a team of admins who know our patterns inside-out and are here to help at any point throughout your RP sewing experience. This wonderful community is friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help! You can share photos of your RP sews, enter giveaways, get sales information, and new-release updates.
“So many options! Very well constructed pattern, that creates a functional and fun backpack!”
Buy More Credits