ADD ON Kingston Jacket
This pattern is a fun update to your denim jacket with the option of knit sleeves and hood, welt pockets, an internal pocket and back ruffle. As this is an add on, you will need the Women’s 1-10, Women’s Curvy 6C-15C, newborn-12yrs, or 18-inch doll Kingston Sewing Pattern to make use of the add on.
Instant download digital sewing pattern. Includes sizes Women’s 1-10, Women’s Curvy 6C-15C, newborn-12yrs, and 18-inch doll.
- Knit sleeves and hood
- Welt pockets
- Internal pocket
- Back ruffle
- Suitable for intermediate level
- Packed with pro tips and expert advice
- Includes full size, print-at-home pattern pieces
- Includes step-by-step tutorial with photos
- Instant-download digital sewing pattern
- 1/4 yard fabric for 18-inch doll
Please see original pattern for materials and quantities of original garment.
Suitable for knit or stretch fabric.
You will also need:
- Thread to match
- Optional cord for hood
A serger or overlocker is optional but not required.
- The lighter weight the fabric, the easier you will find it to manipulate and sew.
- The heavier the fabric, the more labor intensive the sew will be. Heavier fabric is generally thicker and harder to manipulate so it will take longer to press and pin. You also need to sew slower in order to not break your needles.
- For an advanced beginner or intermediate sewer, I would recommend any medium weight woven or denim.
- I would only recommend heavier weight fabrics and denims (ex. a traditional jean-weight denim such as 12-14 oz.) for more advanced sewers.
- Example - I made a long sleeve women's version for myself in a 14 oz. denim. It took me twice as long as a 2-3 years version I made for my daughter in a light weight cotton denim. My women's version was beautiful, I adore it, and it was worth every moment, but it was a labor of love for sure!
- Either 5/8 inch wide buttons or snaps.
- If using snaps, go for metal or heavy-duty snaps.
- You will need 5 for Dolls size, 5 for all Children's sizes, and 6 for all Women's sizes.
- Add 2 additional buttons/snaps if doing the long sleeve version.
- Add 2 additional buttons/snaps if doing the optional waistband tabs.
- Add 2 additional buttons/snaps if doing the Front Pockets.
- Optional single fold 1/2 inch wide bias tape - If you are using a regular sewing machine, the bell sleeve, trumpet sleeve, and underarm seam can all be finished with bias tape. You will need 1 yard for Doll size, 2 yards for Children's sizes, and 3 yards for all Women's sizes will be more than sufficient. You will not need this if you are using a serger. You can use store-bought tape or see the cutting section for notes on making your own.
- Optional lining fabric for Collar lining and for Side Seam Pockets. The Side Seam Pockets are completely optional and require a light weight woven (e.g. cotton). The Collar lining can be cut either from the same as your main fabric or from a lighter weight lining fabric such as cotton. A 1/4 yard length will be more than sufficient for both Pockets and Collar for all sizes.
- Optional Light Weight Interfacing - If you are going to embroider on the Collar Lining in Step 7, you may also wish to use interfacing on the back of your Collar Lining to give it strength. Prepare this during the Preparation Step.
- For Optional Hood:
- 1-2 yards of shoe string, cording, or other tie option for all sizes. Not recommended for 0-24 month sizes due to safety restrictions.
- Grommets can be used in place of buttonholes if desired.
- Thread to match. You may want to use specialty top stitching thread. This is usually a heavier weight and you may need more than you are used to as there is generally less on a spool. You will need 1 Spool for Doll size, 1-2 Spools for Children's sizes, and 2-3 Spools for Women's sizes.
- Sewing machine
- Pins or clips
- Tape measure or ruler
- Buttonhole Presser foot
- A hammer or mallet may also be helpful for attaching your buttons.
- If you are using heavy or denim fabric, you will also need a specialty needle (either a 'denim' needle or a heavy-duty needle such as the sizing '70/10 - 110/18'). Make sure you have several available. There is a lot of top stitching in this pattern and and if you are using denim or thicker fabric, it will blunt and be placed under pressure over the course of the sew. Sewing slowly over bulky sections will help reduce this, however, switching to a fresh needle part way through the sew can help make the sewing easier.
- If you are using heavy or denim fabric, you may also find using a 'clapper' helps. A tailor's clapper is a wooden tool which absorbs moisture from seams after pressing. It helps give a crisp edge and flattens seams too. When working with heavy fabrics such as traditional denim, this can help avoid broken needles and make sewing easier and more accurate.
How do PDF/ digital patterns work? Simply download, print, and sew. You’ll need a free Adobe Acrobat reader program and any home printer (or a nearby copy shop for A0 printing). Once you’ve printed the pieces, tape or glue them together. You’ll find an easy-to-follow how-to guide inside the pattern instructions, plus support in our Facebook group.
The trim-free pattern comes in A4 or US letter printable sizes and includes full pattern pieces and a detailed tutorial to guide you every step of the way. An A0 format (pattern pieces only) is also included should you wish to have your pattern printed professionally. PDF Layers allow you to select and print only the size/s you want/ need.
When will I get my patterns? You’ll receive a link to download your patterns immediately after purchase. If you haven’t received it, please check your spam/ junk folder. You can also find your patterns in your ‘My Account’ area..
What if I need help while sewing? Join our Facebook group and ask any and all the questions you have! We have a team of admins who know our patterns inside-out and are here to help at any point throughout your RP sewing experience. This wonderful community is friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help! You can share photos of your RP sews, enter giveaways, get sales information, and new-release updates.
“With the add on pack you can let your creativity flow and have fun with different types of fabrics and colors!”