Children’s Puffer Coat Sewing Pattern
$11.50 (or 1 credits)
Sew your littles a stylish and warm custom Puffer Coat to keep them warm all season long! This loose-fitting puffer coat features a raglan sleeve with rib cuffs, a detachable two-piece hood, and a high collar to keep the chin warm on a blustery day. Plus there are plenty of pocket options to keep their hands warm, optional patch pockets, side seam pockets, and inner pockets. The coat is closed with an open-ended zipper and hidden snaps.
Instant download digital sewing pattern. Includes sizes 12mo-12yrs.
- Optional patch pockets
- Optional side seam pockets
- Optional inside pocket
- Optional hood
- Suitable for advanced beginner
- Raglan sleeves with rib cuffs
- Button Stand with snaps to secure coat closed
- Packed with pro tips and expert advice
- Includes full size, print-at-home pattern pieces
- Includes step-by-step tutorial with photos
- Instant-download digital sewing pattern
- Recommended fabrics are mid weight wovens. Not suitable for knit/stretch fabrics.
- If you would like your coat to be showerproof, use fabrics such as PUL, nylon, ripstop, taslan nylon, or other waterproof breathable fabrics.
- You can also treat most woven fabrics (such as cotton or quilting cotton) with a waterproof fabric protector.
- I do not recommend laminated cotton; it will not be breathable and may cause sweating and/or overheating.
- Your exterior fabric does not need to be quilted. We will quilt it using your interlining in step 1. Alternatively, if you wish to use pre-quilted fabric, any medium weight pre-quilted fabric up to a thickness of ¾ inch will work. Just skip step 1 and do not use interlining.
- Recommended fabric is 8 oz or 12 oz polyester batting.
- 8 oz batting is ¾ inch thick, creating a slightly less puffy look
- 12 oz batting is 1 inch thick and will create a traditional puffer coat style. It is warm but not tight fitting.
- The finished garment measurements were all worked out using an 12 oz polyester batting.
- You could also use flannel or polyester apparel lining. Bamboo batting is also suitable but make sure to prewash it as many brands are known to shrink.
- You could skip the interlining. If you do this, your coat will have a looser fit and will not have the quilted look.
- Not suitable for knit/stretch fabrics. Must be woven only.
- Recommended fabrics are light to mid weight wovens such as lining fabric, polyester lining. You could also use cotton or quilting cotton for slightly more warmth.
- You could also use thicker fabrics such as flannel or fleece. If your fabric is particularly thick, the coat will fit much more snugly. An alternative is to not use an interlining and just use a thicker lining fabric.
You will also need:
- 1x long open ended or separating zipper. An open ended/separating zipper opens fully so that the two sides of the zip separate from each other. It can be a plain separating zipper, or a chunky separating zipper.
- 12-18 mos: 16 inches long
- 18-24 mos: 18 inches long
- 2-3 yrs: 20 inches long
- 3-4 yrs: 24 inches long
- 5-6 yrs: 28 inches long
- 7-8 yrs: 30 inches long
- 9-10 yrs: 32 inches long
- 11-12 yrs: 34 inches long
- NOTE – The zipper needs to be this length. As it is an open ended/separating zipper, you cannot trim it to the correct length.
- ⅜ - ¾ inch wide Snaps - If you are using heavier weight fabrics, you will need more heavy weight or metal snaps. For thinner fabrics, you can use either plastic or metal snaps:
- 12-24 mos x7
- 2-3 yrs x8
- 5-12 yrs x10
- OPTIONAL Hood x4
- Ribbing for the Cuffs – approximately 0.25 yards will be sufficient for all sizes.
- NOTE – Ribbings can have different stretch recovery. You may need to pre steam it before you cut it.
- Thread to match
- Sewing machine
- Tape measure or ruler
- Zipper foot
- Pins or clips
- Tailor's chalk or washable fabric pen
- Serger/overlocker is optional but not required.
How do PDF/ digital patterns work? Simply download, print, and sew. You’ll need a free Adobe Acrobat reader program and any home printer (or a nearby copy shop for A0 printing). Once you’ve printed the pieces, tape or glue them together. You’ll find an easy-to-follow how-to guide inside the pattern instructions, plus support in our Facebook group.
The trim-free pattern comes in A4 or US letter printable sizes and includes full pattern pieces and a detailed tutorial to guide you every step of the way. An A0 format (pattern pieces only) is also included should you wish to have your pattern printed professionally. PDF Layers allow you to select and print only the size/s you want/ need.
When will I get my patterns? You’ll receive a link to download your patterns immediately after purchase. If you haven’t received it, please check your spam/ junk folder. You can also find your patterns in your ‘My Account’ area..
What if I need help while sewing? Join our Facebook group and ask any and all the questions you have! We have a team of admins who know our patterns inside-out and are here to help at any point throughout your RP sewing experience. This wonderful community is friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help! You can share photos of your RP sews, enter giveaways, get sales information, and new-release updates.
“This coat was a little challenging but it all worked out fine. I am very pleased with how it turned out! My granddaughter loved her new coat! ”
Buy More Credits
Paula Campbell –
This coat was a little challenging but it all worked out fine. I am very pleased with how it turned out! My granddaughter loved her new coat!
Hannah Burke –
This was a challenge and I LOVE a challenge! Clear instructions take you through the different steps and it is so satisfying to conquer the challenges and to make your own outdoor gear! I particularly love the length of this design which can cover your kid from top down to the wellies AND keep them toasty warm. I advise taking your time and regular breaks and you will get there. The sleeves on the pattern and the hood could do with a bit more room but this could be your ultimate cold weather coat!