This tutorial will teach you how to make a pillow bed. I chose to make the cases envelope style so that you can easily remove the pillows for washing, but they won’t fall out like they would with a traditional style pillowcase. There are also handles for easy carrying!
Here’s how to make one of your own:
Download a copy of the pattern pieces and full tutorial here:
What You’ll Need
- The full tutorial with pattern pieces & cutting chart (it’s free! just click & download)
- 4 yards of woven fabric (I chose 4 different coordinating prints and a solid white for the back)
- 4 standard sized pillows
- Coordinating thread
- Poly-fill (for optional puffy bow)
- Sewing machine
- Cutting mat and rotary cutter or scissors
I was able to use my scraps to make these cute details!
To create the Pieced Cover, sew the two middle pieces together, and then sew the outer pieces on either side of the now joined middle pieces. Finish seams and press them to the right.
To create the Puffy Bow, place the outer pieces right sides together and pin. Starting in the middle of one of the long edges, sew around the entire bow leaving a 2″ gap for turning and stuffing. Clip corners and turn right side out. Stuff full with poly-fill. Sew the opening closed. For the bow center, I suggest a stretchy knit or elastic so that I could get it over the stuffed bow. Fold bow center in half right sides together, pin, and sew along the long edge. Turn right side out and move the seam to the center and press flat. With the seam facing down match the short ends, pin and sew. Turn right side out and stretch it over the main bow so that it is in the center. It will naturally cinch the center in, but you may want to pinch it a little to get the perfect bow shape.
1. Press one of the handle pieces in half lengthwise wrong sides together. Then, open the fabric back up with the wrong side facing up. Next press each of the long edges toward the crease that you have just created so that they meet in the middle. Now, press it in half again lengthwise. Sew ⅛” from the edge on both of the long sides. Repeat with the other handle and set handles aside.
2. Place the top front section right side up and place the next section right side down on top of it. Pin and sew together along the bottom edge. Using the same method, attach the remaining front sections together. Finish the seams and press them down. Set aside.
3. Each of the back sections will be made of two pieces to create an envelope style cover.
Using the same method used in step 2, sew four of the back section pieces together, finish the seams and press them up this time. Repeat with the remaining four back section pieces.
Now, hem the right side of one of the strips by pressing the edge to the wrong side ½” and then pressing it another ½” so that the raw edge is enclosed in the fold. Sew ⅛” from the top edge of the fold. Now hem the left side of the remaining strip of back section pieces using the same method.
4. Place the front of the pillow bed right side up and place the left back section strip right side down on top of it matching up the raw edges. Now, carefully match the seams, pin and sew. Repeat with the right back section piece and finish the seams.
5. Find the center of top section of the front of the pillow bed and mark with a pin. Measure 1.5” from each side of the pin and mark each one with a pin. Line up one of the raw edges of the handle with the top of the section of the pillow bed where you placed the pin on the left. Pin in place. Now repeat with the other end of the handle with the pin on the right side. Baste the handle in place. Use the same method to attach the remaining handle to the bottom of the pillow bed.
6. With the pillow bed right side up, fold the left back section piece so that it is right sides together with the front section of the pillow bed. Pin in place along the top and bottom. Repeat with the right back section piece (the hemmed edges of the back sections pieces should overlap), sew and finish the seams.
7. Turn the bed right side out and press well. Pin the front to the back along the seams between each section. It is important to make sure they the seams are lined up really well. Now stitch in the ditch along each of the three dividing seams. If you want to add the puffy bow, tack it in place at the base of the top handle now.
8. Insert the pillows and give it to a child or pet to enjoy!
Check out the FREE Animal Pillows pattern and tutorial to make matchy pieces and complete the cuteness! <3